The International Tourism Master Network
The International Tourism Masters Network (ITMN) groups together high-level Master-awarding universities and industry partners in the field of Tourism, Hospitality and Events (THE) management.
Its « mission » is to provide its member universities' students and faculty with enhanced study and research opportunities and with connections to the latest professional develoments and needs.
Its membership is currently spread across a dozen countries, in Europe and the Americas, with further international expansion planned for the near future.
ITMN's MAIN AIMS include :
- Fostering international collaboration between member universities, by facilitating student exchanges and project work, joint faculty research, and cross-border links with the professional world
- Contributing to the quality improvement of education by the sharing of information and advice
- Showcasing its member universities at national and international levels
- Aiding its individual members' student recruitment campaigns by acting as a global platform for their tourism Masters offerings
- Offering professionals in the THE sector opportunities to connect to high-level international Masters students for their research, job-placement and recruitment needs.
ITMN's ACTIONS are sufficiently wide-ranging and flexible to allow member universities to participate in whatever activities they prefer.
- Student exchanges (taught coursework or research supervision; simple credit transfer or double-diploma status)
- Annual Convention and AGM
- Advice to members on course design, new services, quality enhancement
- Joint activities with top representatives from the tourism/hospitality industry (advice, placements, sponsorship, research projects, lectures)
- Multi-input research projects based on comparative approaches at international level
- Teaching mobility
- Online student contacts (tourism-hospitality management challenge, collaboration for research projects, work placement or job-hunting plans, network-building)
- Distance-learning and knowledge-sharing via “master-class lectures” available online to students in member universities.
ITMN's EXPERIENCE dates back over 30 years
International collaboration in education between ITMN's “historic” members started in the 1980's with the launching of the “ground-breaking” European Tourism Management (ETM) partnership, which linked universities in 7 different countries, in producing, delivering and administering a joint degree in Tourism Management at Master's level.
Thanks to the foresightedness of the founding-partner universities, and the funding possibilities provided by the then newly-launched Erasmus scheme to encourage student exchanges, not only did over 1,000 students obtain double or joint degrees over the 25 years of ETM's existence, but the partner universities themselves acquired far-reaching experience in the field of cross-border Masters degrees.
It is this experience which now underpins ETM's successor, the International Tourism Masters Network (ITMN), which was formally launched in 2012-13.
ITMN today counts many top tourism management universities amongst its widened membership, and is still, to our knowledge, the only international university network in the tourism sector focusing on student exchanges and « double degrees »at Masters level. With, in addition, its comprehensive range of complementary activities, ITMN aims to be a guarantee of top level offerings for students, collaborative opportunities for academics, and quality graduates for the industry.
- UNIVERSIDADE DO ALGARVE – ESGHT, Faro, Portugal
- BOURNEMOUTH UNIVERITY, UK
- UNVERSITY OF CENTRAL LANCASHIRE, Preston, UK
- DALARNA UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES, Borlänge, Sweden
- UNIVERSITY OF GUELPH, Canada
- HOCHSCHULE HEILBRONN, Germany
- LONDON METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY, UK
- MANCHESTER METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY, UK
- UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI MILANO-BICOCCA, Italy
- BREDA UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES, the Netherlands
- UNIVERSIDAD REY JUAN CARLOS, Madrid, Spain
- UNIVERSITE SAVOIE MONT BLANC, Chambéry, France
- THOMPSON RIVERS UNIVERSITY, Canada
- YASAR UNIVERSITY, Izmir, Turkey
CHUR UNIVERSITY OF APPLIED SCIENCES (HTW), Switzerland
- HAAGA-HELIA UNIVERSITY, Helsinki, Finland
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF PARANA, Curbita, Brazil
- Michael HOPPE, Chairman and Secretary General, BARIG (Board of Airline Representatives in Germany)
- Herman-Jan MEIJERS, Managing Director, Interphase bvba, Belgium
- Magnus BOHLIN, ex- Tourism master programme director, Dalarna University, Sweden
- Hans-Dieter GANTER, ex-Tourism master programme director, Hochschule Heilbronn, Germany
- Blanca KRALJEVIC MUJIC, ex-ITMN and tourism master programme coordinator, Rey Juan Carlos University, Madrid, Spain
- Paul CONSTABLE, former director of Tourism, Hospitality and Events Management, Université de Savoie Mont Blanc, Chambéry, France